HISTORY OF D.A.D.
history of D
A D traces back to two hundred fifty years with the appointment of
“Military Pay Master” under the East India Company way back in 1750.
In 1776 he was known as “Commissar General” to regulate the Military
accounts. He was a “General” in uniform under the then Military
In 1864 he
was styled as “Accountant General of Military Department” with four
subordinates in the four Commands.
Department came to be known as ‘Military Accounts Department’. The
department was having four Command Controllers viz., Western, Central,
Southern and another in
. Two Field Controllers of Military Accounts were appointed one for
“OTHER RANKS” and another for officers.
Department of Military Accounts was brought under Finance Department and
head of Department was redesignated as “Military Accountant General”.
1951 Military Accountant General emerged as “Controller General of
Defence Accounts” and Controller of Military Accounts came to be renamed
as “Controller of Defence Accounts”.
BRIEF HISTORY OF PCDA
Cantonment area of 13 ½ square miles was assigned by His Excellency the
Maharaja Chamaraja Wodeyar to the
Resident, Artilery, Cavalry and Regimental Centre of Queen Victoria”s
own Sappers[MEG} was housed here. An Accounts Office of the Accountant
General, Military Dept Madras known as “Military Commissariat” existed
in the Cantontment area during the twentieth Century.
Accounts Office under the jurisdiction of CDA(AF) was functioning at HAL
. In the wake of rapid strides in HAL and R&D Ministry of Defence
insisted on setting a Deputy Controller’s office thereby DCDA (HAL) was
May 1982 CDA
was formed DCDA HAL merged with this office. CDA,Bangalore was entrusted
with the Regional Controller’s work relating to Karnataka,
A.P.,T.N,Kerala and Goa areas including LAOs, RAO and all AAO GE’s/BSOs
offices therein. Accounts office of HAL at
and Koraput and providing support to R&D organizations at
and Secunderabad was also brought within the purview of CDA Bangalore.
relating to R&D got bifurcated on all
basis during 1984/85, subsequently R&D work was transferred to newly
created office of Jt.CDA, LRDE in 1989.
of C.D.A. (Other Ranks) begins with the move from Ambala Cantonment to
Secunderabad and from there to
and then to
. At Madras CDA (Other Ranks) was bifurcated as CDA North and South
subsequently it was further spliced as Central and South. During sixties,
there were three PAOs viz MEG & C , ASC CENTRE (S) AND EME located at
Bangalore subsequently EME moved to Secunderabad. CDA Bangalore was formed
on 15th May 1982. The CDA (ORs), South,
work was exchanged with the work of Regional Controller hitherto dealt
with in the Office of CDA.
during 1989. 15th January 1995 keeping in tide with time
reorganization of all functional controllers as envisaged by a visionary
CGDA was effected and CDA,
became the Regional Controller for Karnataka and
sub area in addition to the work relating to PAOs and HAL offices.
On 18thNov 2009 this office has been upgraded to Principal Controller's Office & the office name was rechristened as Principal Controller of Defence Accounts, Bangalore
HISTORY OF PAOs UNDER PCDA,
ASC South – PAO (ORs)
moved from Pune to
on 03.11.1986. PAO (ORs) ASC MT & Supplies merged as PAO (ORs)ASC
South in 11/2002.
MEG & C – Raised in
on 30.9.1780 later shifted to
– Raised on 31.12.1942 at
PARA Regt. - Established at
in 1963 and moved to
CMP – Established on 01.09.1947 at Faisabad and moved to
PCTC – Established on 24.06.1943 at Jhalna, Maharashtra and moved to
from Alwar in 1974.